Windows 10 has customized and enhanced its Network sharing feature. On one hand it has introduced the network discovery feature, on the other hand, Windows 10 has brought file and printer sharing feature. Both these features have the same purpose= to protect the integrity and security of your computer.
Network discovery in Windows 10, helps the OS to detect other devices and computers connected on a network. Network discovery is turned on by default for private networks. For example, when you are connected over your home Wi-Fi, the feature is turned on. You do not have to do anything. But as soon as you enter into the domain of any public network like in a cafe, or restaurant or airport, network discover is turned off for your security. This feature refrains you from getting connected to networks that are not trusted.
Hence, your device becomes hidden and cannot be connected randomly by any public network.
Now, coming to Windows 10 File and Printer sharing options, this is similar to network discovery. When the file and printer sharing is on, files and printers that you have shared from this computer can be accessed by people on the network. The File and Printer sharing is automatically turned on when you are connected to a private network. The name is turned off when you are connected to a public network.
But Still, if you want, you can enable file and printer sharing. The following tutorial will help you turn on printer and file sharing on Windows 10.
Steps To Enable Printer And File Sharing For Your Network On Windows 10
1.Open the Start Menu and click on Settings option.
2. As the settings open, go to Network and Internet.
3. In the left panel, select Status
4. In the right panel, you will come across an option called Sharing Options. Tap on it.
5. You will be redirected to Control Panel. By default, the option Turn On File and Printer Sharing is turned off. To enable it, check the radio button corresponding to the option Turn on File and Printer sharing.
6. Now uncheck the option Turn on automatic setup of network connected device.
7. Click On Save Changes. That’s all!