Motherboard is a printed circuit that is the spine of your PC. It provides communication between the central processing unit (CPU) and random access memory (RAM) and other computer hardware components with each other. As it is main circuit it is known as a motherboard. It can be extended by connecting other circuit board with it.
So, what should we know about motherboard configuration and how?
The main four things we should know about the motherboard
First of all we have to know about the types of motherboard. They are
- Motherboard with advanced technology (AT) is considered as obsolete today.
- Motherboard with advanced technology extended (ATX) is introduced by Intel in 1995. Full size ATX box is 12”×9.6” with 4 pin plug and socket for power. Varies ATX are micro-ATX, Nano-ATX, macro-ATX.
- Motherboard with low profile extended (LTX) is introduced by Western digital in 1997. The size of the board is 13”×9” and situated parallel to the motherboard. The rest of the place is for expansion board.
The detail information that we could know:
- Serial Number
How to find above information without opening the computer case?
- Click on the start menu or click Windows + R to open run window.
- Type msinfo32 and hit Enter.
- Now you will be navigated to the System information page. In the Baseboard section you will find motherboard information like
- Motherboard product number.
- Motherboard manufacturer. Manufacturer of motherboard is generally same as a computer manufacturer.
- Anything ends with 01 is a 1st generation motherboard for that model.
Here you could not find out the serial number.
How to find the serial number of the motherboard?
The serial number of any motherboard is unique. It cannot be changed. To get all information about motherboard including serial number follow the steps :
- Go to start menu. Type cmd and press enter to open command prompt app.
- Type the following command and press enter
wmic baseboard get
Note: wmic means Windows Management Instrumentation Command line
- Now you get all the information of motherboard including serial number.
You can also find motherboard information with third party app like :
- CPU-Z : Install the app from CPU-ID website and install it. After installation you can see the motherboard tab with detail information.
- Belarc Advisor
You have another option to check motherboard information by opening the computer case. You will find all the information at the edge of the motherboard or in the center near CPU.