Windows 10 personalizes your searching experience with an app launch tracking feature. This feature has several advantages. It allows you to access the most used apps in the Start menu and Windows search bar. The feature tracks any app that has been launched on your PC. By keeping a track of these launches, Windows 10 can understand which app is frequently launched, which app is recently launched, etc.
Based on their tracking result, Windows 10 gives auto suggestions about apps to its users.
If you want, you can disable this tracking feature if you do not want Windows to remember your app launch activity. If the computer is used by a number of users, then disabling the feature might be helpful to retain your privacy.
If you disable the app launch tracking, you have to turn off Let Windows track app launches to improve Start and search results and Show most used apps settings. You can do this, either by altering the settings of Local Group Policy Editor, or by installing a registry file. Let’s have a look!
Steps To Enable Or Disable App Launch Tracking In Windows 10
Method 1: Using Local Group Policy Editor
- Open Windows 10 Search panel, and type Local group policy editor. Find the required option from the search results. Or, Press Windows+R to open the Run window. Now type gpedit.msc and hit Enter to launch the Local group policy editor.
- In the left panel of Local Group Policy Editor, expand and navigate to the following location User Configuration> Administrative Templates> Windows Components> Edge UI.
- Now, in the right panel of Edge UI, double click on the Turn off tracking of app usage policy to edit it.
- If you want to Enable app launch tracking, check the Not Configured or Disabled radio button.
- If you want to disable, check the Enabled radio button.
- Click on Apply and OK.
Method 2: Using Registry Files
1. DOWNLOAD the zip file and extract the file to get the registry file. Double tap on the registry file to download it. You will be asked if you want to merge the file. Click Yes> Delete the registry file once you are done.
2. DOWNLOAD the zip file and extract the file to get the registry file. Double tap on the registry file to download it. You will be asked if you want to merge the file. Click Yes> Delete the registry file once you are done.