Akamai netsession client is application software that uses peer to peer network for delivering content on the Internet. The idea is achieving speed and overall efficiency while downloading and streaming data/media content on the Internet. This software product is gaining popularity, and many media publishers are using it to deliver the content to you. For instance, when you are downloading a pdf document or media content on the web, chances are this download is powered by Akamai. We found the below information from the Akamai’s official website,
“The Akamai NetSession Interface is a secure application that may be installed on your computer to improve the speed, reliability, and efficiency for application, data and media downloads and video streams from the Internet.”
The first thing that strikes, what is a peer to peer network and how it works? In this article, we shall be discussing more on the working principle of Akamai netsession, and the risk factor it possesses on your system.
What is a peer to peer network?
- A peer to peer network is a distributed network of computer machines connected over th Internet.
- This network typically functions as a content provider, i.e., the data or files can be shared by connected computers among themselves.
- In a peer to peer network, there is no need for a centralized server.
- Every computer can function as both client and server.
- The efficiency of such a network is quite higher as compared to traditional client-server architecture.
How Akamai works?
- Akamai Netsession client act as a download manager and as a peer-to-peer server.
- Akamai netsession may come pre-installed or comes with an application that you are trying to install. Sometimes, you have seen the updates for your games are automatically installed on your system; probably Akamai is working behind the scene.
- Akamai delivers daily Web traffic reaching more than 50 terabits per second.
- Currently, more than 30 per cent of the global traffic is served by Akamai’s content delivery system.
- Akamai netsession client can access both of your private and public networks.
- Netsession only will use your computer when it is idle or utilizing minimal network resources.
Note: If you are using limited data pack to access the Internet on your system, then the Akamai netsession client might exhaust your data plan due to background network activities.
Is it a Virus?
- Akamai netsession client is neither a virus nor a malware. Instead, it helps in increasing the overall content delivery speed.
- Akamai never shares any private data on your machine to the connected peer to peer network.
Some facts about Akamai’s Netsession Client:
- It is not permanently installed on your system; you have an option to remove it anytime.
- Akamai netsession client is a lightweight process that runs as a background networking service, i.e. less CPU and RAM usage.
- User can check the behaviour and can monitor the interface at any them they want.
- If a user finds, the Netsession client is consuming more resources, or due to any reason, they have an option to turn it off.
Where can I find Akamai’s Netsession interface in my system?
Based on your operating system, you can find the Akamai’s netsession interface by,
- Open Windows control panel > Click the icon or link for Akamai netsession interface.
- Akamai extension icon is found under Other –> Akamai on the System Preferences panel.
What information captured by Netsession from my system?
- The Akamai netsession client captures minimal information needed for troubleshooting and network performance monitoring only. This implies, netsession continually sends information from your system to the server.
- There is a slight possibility that the netsession client might transfer an infected file to your system over the network.
- There is always a risk of getting pirated content over a peer to peer network like using a torrent client.
- Even though Akamai’s netsession utilizes minimal network resources, for this, it has to monitor your bandwidth allocation continuously and sends network data to its server.
In this article, we have discussed the working principle of Akamai netsession client and also walked you through a few of the security concerns it possesses due to the peer to peer architecture. The bottomline is you can have it in your system and can enjoy the faster content delivery service as it has never been reported as a virus or a malware.