In Microsoft Word 2016, if you are typing huge documents, then often a good way of arranging your text and its sub documents is creating a master document. Under master document, you can create sub documents as well. The best thing about this utility feature is that you can create master documents and sub documents any time you want and it’s not mandatory to create them the first time you are writing the document. The sub documents can be merged on split as and when necessary.
Steps Create to Master Document and Sub documents in MS Word 2016
1. Open a new document or an existing document in MS Word. Go to View and then click on Outline.
2. As the Outline tool box opens, you will find out Master Document. Tap on Show Document.
3. Click on Create. Now type the Headings.
4. To add subdocuments, select the heading and click on Split.
5. To merge two subdocuments, select them and click the Merge button.
When I click on ‘Create’ I get the error: “The selection does not consist of heading levels” and I’m unable to continue following the instructions.