Windows has introduced a new settings page that allows managing the graphical performance preferences for the installed application. The feature exclusively helps you to manage the GPU performance and eventually helps in saving battery life. The changes will reflect the next time you open the application. This is a convenient feature that comes in handy, and sometimes we want to reset the GPU preferences for applications to default in our Windows 10 device. This article shall walk you through the below two steps to reset the GPU preferences for applications running on your Windows 10 device,
- Reset GPU Preferences for Apps via the Settings app
- Reset GPU Preferences for Apps via Registry Editor
Note: Applications on your device have absolute control over the GPU preferences. Make sure to check the “Graphics Setting” section present inside the application.
Reset GPU Preferences for Apps via the Settings app:
Microsoft allows you to change the GPU preferences for the applications from the Settings app. To accomplish the same, please follow the below-mentioned steps,
- Press the “Win + I” keys on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Select the “System” option and then click on the “Display” option from the left-hand panel.
- Scroll down and click on the “Graphics settings” link on the right-hand panel.
- From the list, select an application for which you want to change the GPU performance preferences.
- Click on the “Reset/Remove” button for the same.
Once the changes are saved, make sure to restart the targeted application to see the graphical changes.
Reset GPU Preferences for Apps via Registry Editor:
Microsoft provides you another way to reset the GPU performance other than the conventional method. Here, we are talking about modifying your device’s registry; before proceeding further, please make sure to take a backup of your registry. Please follow the below-mentioned steps,
- Press the “Win + R” keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “notepad” and hit the enter key on your keyboard to open the Notepad text editor.
- Copy and paste the below text,
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectX]
- Click on the “File” option from the left menu and select the “Save As” button.
- Choose the destination of the file, provide a name for the file. Make sure to provide an extension of “reg” for the file. Please select the “All files” from the “Save as type” drop-down.
- Double click on the saved reg file to merge the changes to the registry. If promoted, approve the UAC to merge the changes.
This article showed you two different ways to reset the GPU preferences for applications to your Windows 10 device’s default settings. If you are facing any troubles in executing the steps mentioned above, please leave a comment below.