- According to research, there’s a hacking attempt every 39 seconds.
- That equates to a mind-boggling 2,244 times a day.
- 43% of all passwords are as obvious as ‘username,’ ‘123456, and ‘password.’
It makes you think, doesn’t it? That in today’s digital age, where almost all services we use are online, the threat of hacking is constant. And if we’re to live successfully in the digital age, we want to be safe. As an owner of a Windows device, your life blood could be on that – your work, your personal details, your family photos – and it’s something you don’t want to get into the wrong hands. We’ll show you how you can keep it as secure as possible.
Be sensible online
Just like you shouldn’t run down the corridor holding a pair of scissors, you shouldn’t just brazenly go online thinking that everything is hunky-dory. You need to make sure you’re doing it the right way, being mindful of the online threat, and taking precautions to ensure safety. Learn how to use Windows 10, and take these extra steps:
- When it comes to passwords, make sure you’ve got a strong one that uses a mixture of numbers, letters, and special characters. Oh, and be sure to change it once in a while.
- Ad blockers and anti-virus software are always good to keep on your smartphones, tablets, and computers, don’t go overboard and download loads. And watch out for the free ones that are riddled with ads.
- See a clickbait article? Don’t read it. If the story looks good, look it up yourself later, rather than rely on that spammy banner.
- If a website looks too good to be true, then it is. Don’t go on it, don’t search on it and whatever you do – never download anything from it. Likewise, if you don’t trust a download, then avoid it!
Welcome the VPN to your world
Keeping safe online is a great way to make sure your device is secure. But to give it the security you want, then you need to try a VPN. They’re known for being a cost-effective way to keep yourself safe, especially when using a VPN designed for Windows devices. Find one of the best in the business, one that’s an ideal VPN for Windows, and already you’re one step closer to keeping your Windows device safe.
How does it work? A VPN works by re-routing your original point of internet traffic. Or let’s say that without all the jargon. When you go online, your IP address is basically your starting point. That’s what the big companies can track, that’s what the hackers can find out, and from there the floodgates open. When you use a VPN, you select a different IP address from a different location. It could be from another state or from a completely different country. Once you’ve made your choice, when you go online, you’ll have a brand new IP address, one that will hide you from those big companies.
It’s safe too. Not just because it masks your online identity, stopping hackers and the prying eyes of big companies trying to get your data. But because the best VPNs for Windows also have stringent security measures in place too. 256-AES encryption protocols ensure ultra-protection against any hackers.
Once you’ve downloaded and installed a VPN onto your Windows device, its’ really easy to use. Slick navigation menus make it simple to find out what’s going on, which buttons to click, and how to proceed. For example, you’ll see a list of servers which you can connect to – it’ll show you which country it’s in and its location, such as a city. Once you’ve selected that, all you need to do is hit the ‘go’ button or turn it ‘on,’ and then the VPN will start running straightaway. You can also set it to come on automatically before you even go online; that way, you’ll always stay protected.
As well as keeping your Windows device safe and secure from nasty privacy surprises, a VPN has other benefits, too. You can use it to bypass geo-restrictions on streaming services, such as Netflix. That way, you can access more content from different countries. You can also use the VPN when you’re shopping online, choosing different servers to see the different prices.
The question you now have to ask yourself (a la Clint Eastwood style) is:
- Do you want the best protection for your Windows device?
- Do you want it delivered in an easy, cost-effective way?
- Do you want all the added extras too?
Then hopefully you know what to do.