Many prefer to use Outlook 2016 as their default email client. It is no new thing that people use Microsoft Outlook as an email client to download emails from their Gmail account or other mail account servers.
Outlook can be beneficial, but of what profit will it be when the software keeps malfunctioning. There are common reasons that trigger Outlook 2016 to crash when opening certain emails. This, however, makes the system act as if it were bugged.
To fix Outlook crashes when opening emails, you have to know the cause of the problem. Hence, I’ve elaborated these problems and their applicable fixes, and they include:
- “Outlook 2016 crashes when opening an email with attachments”
- “Outlook 2016 crashes on startup”
- “Outlook 2016 crashes when opening calendar”
- “Outlook 2016 crashes when sending email”
Best Solutions to fix Outlook 2016 Crashes When Opening Certain Emails
Outlook 2016 crashes when opening an email with attachments
Sometimes Outlook 2016 experiences crash when trying to open an email with attachments. That being said, it can be a big issue for some people. Hence, here are some quick fixes to get rid of Outlook crashes when opening emails with attachment.
Solution 1: Disable your antivirus
Antivirus is important but is often destructive to emails with attachment. As a result, it can cause Outlook 2016 to crash when attempting to open attachments.
To fix this, you have to disable your antivirus and email security features. If the issue persists, you can go further to uninstall the antivirus. If eventually the item has been resolved, then you should look for alternatives. There are many antivirus tools out there.
Solution 2: Share the attachment from another program
Several users have talked about this method, strange, but it works. Many say when they face this type of challenge, they fixed the issue by opening the attachment in Word. After that, they selected the option to share attachment in Outlook. Users have useful reports about this.
Solution 3: Install the newest update
Sometimes when Outlook crashes, the perfect solution might just be getting the latest update. Usually, Outlook automatically does the updates, but you can do this in your Office Account.
Solution 4: Delete Updates with the issue
Often when crashes occur after an update, then the problem is triggered by the upgrade. Hence, you can resolve this by removing the update with the issues.
Solution 5: Disable add-ins
In this case, add-ins may seem to be the cause of the crash, although they may be useful. This is because they connect Outlook with other apps. You should do the following:
- Navigate to File > Options > add-ins.
- Locate the Manage section
- Then click the “Go” option
- Disable all add-ins and confirm the process by clicking OK.
Other fixes include:
- Reinstalling Outlook 2016
- Use a different email client.
- Perform system restore
- Launch Outlook in safe mode
Outlook 2016 crashes upon startup
There are two ways to this. Once Outlook crashes upon startup, it’s either you use the first or the second.
Method 1: Run Windows Update
- Press the Windows key
- Type in windows update and click on the displayer result labeled ‘Windows Update’
- In the Windows Update window, you should check for updates
- Follow the prompts to complete installation of the latest Windows patches
- Restart your PC afterwards.
Method 2: Manage Office Add-ins
- Open Outlook in safe mode.
- Choose the option “File” > “Manage Add-ins.”
- Disable the add-ins.
- Select Close.
- Restart Outlook, hopefully, the issue should be resolved.
Outlook 2016 crashes when opening calendar
Microsoft Outlook is used to store almost all email providers, and they are kept in the PST file. If you experience crashing when opening schedule, it could be that your PST file is corrupt. Quick fixes include:
Solution 1: Use the Scanpst.exe tool
- Close Outlook and launch the Inbox Repair Tool.
- Browse your folder personal folder file name, using the Windows file system. If you have the path and file name, enter it in the Inbox Repair Tool.
- Press start, wait for the completion of the recovery process, and then click Repair.
Solution 2: Get a reliable Outlook repair tool
Stellar Repair for Outlook is the best solution to repair corrupted data. The repair tool possesses the potential to recover data, as well. The best part of this tool is that it works at high-speed and is easy to use. It supports Outlook 2016 and is compatible with Windows devices. Other tips include:
- Keep meeting requests.
- Have meeting requests processed from the inbox folder instead of the calendar.
- Never move meeting requests to another folder.
Outlook 2016 crashes when sending email
Here’s a list of quick fixes to the problem mentioned above:
- Repair PST file with the Inbox Repair Tool
(As stated above)
- Manage your Outlook profile with reliable Outlook management software toolkit.
- Delete compromised messages on your mail server.
- Disable antivirus software scanner
- Reconfigure your settings
- Use PST Repair Tool by Stellar:
Here, we go through the step-by-step repair process by using the automated tool. So, do stay with us!
For all users, there’s a free trial version to preview complete mailbox data after scan and repair, this can be test ran for checking the preview of mailbox before spending bucks on the licensed edition.
#2 Browse/Search Corrupt Data File
After installation, launch the software. In the home menu, a pop-up window will show up, prompting you to “Browse or Find Outlook PST file & then Click Repair“.
You can also use the “find” option to bring up all corrupt Outlook files.
#3 Repair Process Starts
Once you’ve selected the PST file(s) to repair, Click on the “Repair” button to initiate the repair process.
#4 Complete Preview of Mailbox data
After scan and repair of Outlook PST file, the software shows the preview of all the repaired mailbox items. All the recoverable deleted mail items (emails, attachments, contacts) are represented in the red font.
#5 Saving of Repaired Outlook Data File
After the checking preview of repaired data, you can save the data by using the “Save repaired file” option. The available formats include PST, RTF, PDF, MSG, HTML or EML.
The technician edition of the software also offers direct export of repaired PST to Office 365.
#6 Finally, Import your repaired PST file
After the whole repair & recovery process, you can close the program. Subsequently, launch your MS Outlook and import your repaired/recovered PST file(s) for smooth working.
You can simply free download and take trial of the PST repair tool to troubleshoot Microsoft Outlook crash issues when opening certain mail items.
Hope the given workarounds are helpful to resolve this Outlook 2016 problem!