Hyper-V is a Microsoft proprietary tool that enables running virtual machines over a physical host. These virtualized machines are like any physical machines running in an isolated environment and exist only virtually. Before Hyper-V, Windows users were utterly relying on third-party tools for virtualization. Microsoft has crafted an intermediary software named “Hypervisor” that manages access between the virtual machines and the hardware resources. Virtualization helps deploy virtual computer systems within just a few clicks; unlike previously, it used to take a significant amount of time to provision virtual machines. Hyper-V comes with a management tool known as Hyper-V Manager(virtmgmt.msc) for smoother operation.
Prerequisites for Hyper-V in your system:
- Windows 10/11 Enterprise, Pro, or Education edition
- You must be signed in as an administrator into your system to enable or disable Hyper-V
This tutorial will explore the steps to create a shortcut for Hyper-V virtual machine. A virtual machine shortcut in your system would reduce your time in launching machines.
Steps to create a Hyper-V VM shortcut:
- Right-click/ tap and hold on the Desktop, hover on “New,” and click/tap on “Shortcut.”
- Under the “Type the location of the item” field, provide the below input followed by a click/tap on the “Next” button,
Format: vmconnect.exe localhost “VMName“
- If your virtual machine name is “Win10 UEFI” then you need to provide the below input,
- vmconnect.exe localhost “Win10 UEFI”
- Then you need to provide a shortcut name for your VM as per your wish, followed by a click/tap on the “Next” button,
Example: W10 UEFI Hyper-V VM
- Right-click on the created shortcut and click on the “Properties” option.
- Click/Tap on the “Advanced” button and check the “Run as administrator” checkbox.
- Save the above changes by clicking/tapping on the “Ok” button.
You’re done with creating a shortcut for your Hyper-V virtual machine. With just a click/tap, you can directly launch to your VM.
In this article, we have walked you through the steps to create a shortcut for your Hyper-V virtual machines in your system.