Hidden files are those files which are by default not visible to users. Certain system files, program files and utility files are there whose deletion or alteration can damage normal working environment of the computer. So avoid any such problem, it is recommended that the files are made invisible to the users. Besides this you can also hide files that you don’t want to display. You can change a normal file to a hidden file by yourself.
Select the file, right click and go to Properties. Under the Properties Tab, check the box beside Hidden. Click Apply and then OK to make the respective file a hidden file. The following steps will help you to view hidden files. When the hidden items are visible they have this semitransparent look as the image above.
Steps to view hidden files in Windows8
1. First of all go to Desktop by pressing Windows+D if you are on Start screen or simply click on the Desktop tile.
2. Next, click on Windows Explorer located on Taskbar.
3. From the Toolbar click on View.
4. The hidden items option is unchecked. It means that hidden items are not visible.
5. Check the box to view the hidden items.